Washtenaw County May Count
With spring finally here, birders’ thoughts turn to spring birding. As you think about the ways you will bird in the county this spring, please consider participating in the Washtenaw County May Count, on International Migratory Bird Day.
Juliet Berger is the Compiler for this informal count. The Compiler divides the county into townships, each of which has an Area Leader. Leaders recruit additional volunteers to count birds throughout their area. For names and contact information for the Compiler and the Area Leaders, visit our website (check back here), and please consider volunteering.
This year, the May Count will continue to be a Washtenaw County only event, as our state wide compilers have retired. All Washtenaw County birders are welcome to bird all or part of the day. We will post detailed instructions right here on count day logistics. Please check back here for more information about how to participate as the date gets closer.
Please contact an Area Leader or the Compiler to help out!
NEW AND UPDATED! Please see these new documents describing the count procedures:
- Procedure flowchart – a brief visual representation of the procedures and process (PDF)
- Detailed written description of the procedures (PDF)
- Washtenaw County May Count eBird Usernames (PDF) – also shown below
- Township species checklist, sorted taxonomically (PDF)
- Township species checklist, sorted alphabetically (PDF)
- Unusual/rare species list and documentation requirements (PDF)
Washtenaw County Coordinator/Compiler: Juliet Berger
Area Leaders (click names for contact details):
|Township||Area Leader||eBird Username||Contact|
|H: (734) 769-6482
M: (734) 239-5975